Sunday 16 June 2013

Boat Party!!


1.
A perfect evening: warm, still and cloudless

2.
Three hundred and fifty Geographers,
staff and students, ready to party.

And twenty enormous, surly bouncers.


3.
Setting off from Tower Bridge
we sail upstream to Westminster
and then downstream to the Dome.

4.
The Shard looks spectacular...
 it was a case study for a recent PhD...


5.
There are blue framed shades, black lace dresses,
cream wedding shoes on a trial run, tweed flat caps.

6.
The finalists tell me their plans for the future:
postgraduate studies, job applications, careers.


7.
The second years tell me about their summers:
jobs, travel, dissertation research.

8.
The first years tell me about their memories:
freshers week, Spain, halls, tutorials.


9.
I thank the GeogSoc committee:
Sam, Martha, Hannah, Will, Becca, Izzy and Abi,
their hard work and imagination
has made so many happy memories this year.

10.
There is dancing.


11.
A sunset to remember for a lifetime
 Every shade of red, orange and gold

 12
 Here I am with the lovely Natalie:
PhD student, rugby fanatic and dear friend.


I catch a late train home from Waterloo
and I am looked after all the way by students
who make sure I get home safely.

And that was the loveliest thing of all.

No comments: